Jagadish Shivappa Shettar(Born 17 December 1955 in Kerur village of
Badami Taluk in Bagalkote district, Karnataka) is a senior leader of the Bharatiya Janata Party. Jagadish Shettar became Chief Minister of Karnataka in July 12, 2012, Jagadish Shettar he was the Speaker of the Karnataka Legislative Assembly during 2008-2009. Jagadish Shettar served as Minister for Rural Development and Panchayat Raj, Government of Karnataka
Father SS Shettar is an advocate, was served as Mayor of Hubli-Dharwad City Corporation. He elected as member to Hubli-Dharwad City Corporation for five times consecutively. He was the first Mayor of Jansangh in Southern India.
Jagadish Shettar’s uncle Sadashiva Shettar was Member of Assembly from Hubli Constituency representing Jansangh party in the year 1967.
- Served as active member of Akila Bharat Vidyarthi Parishat
- Swayam Sevak, RSS
- 1990 – President, Hubli Rural Constituency
- 1994 – Elected as Dharwad district BJP President
- 1996 – Elected as Secretary, State BJP
- 1999 – Leader of Oppostion, Karnataka Legislative Assembly
- 2005 - Elected as President, State BJP
- 2006 – Served as Revenue Minister in Karnataka State Government
- 2008 – Elected as Speaker, 13th Assembly, First Speaker of BJP in Southern India
Success in politics:
- 1994, 1999, 2004, 2008 – Consecutively elected to Assembly for the first time from Hubli Rural Constituency.
- 2009 – Serving as “Minister for Rural Development and Panchayat Raj” in Government of Karnataka since 17-11-2009.
- 2012- Became CM of Karnataka, Govt. of Karnataka.
As one of the most influential leaders of north Karnataka region, he has been associated with many reforms including the Khalasa Banduri project, construction of suvarna vidhana soudha in Belgaum, establishment of South western railways headquarters to Hubli Dharwad etc.
On 10 July 2012, he was appointed chief minister after several BJP MLAs who supportive of Yedyurappa called for his appointment.He will be sworn in on 12 July 2012.